AKC Board Meeting Minutes
American Kennel Club Board Motions, Actions as recorded by Secretary
Meeting held January 13th-14th, 2020, published 1/27/2020
Click here for current AKC Suspensions
To search for specific subject, person, or word in the American Kennel Club minutes, use ("Ctrl" & "F") "find" command for windows and for Mac click the "Command" () and the letter "F". On mobile devices see ii "find" functions for your "find" command.
Wording is as presented in the Minutes provided by AKC Secretary Gina M. DiNardo.
The Board convened on Monday, January 13, 2020 at 8:30 a.m. All Directors were present; also present was the Executive Secretary.
The November 2019 Board minutes, copies of which had been provided to all Directors, were reviewed. Upon a motion by Dr. Davies, seconded by Mr. Sweetwood, the November 2019 minutes were approved unanimously.
FIRST EXECUTIVE SESSION - Monday the 13th, there was an EXECUTIVE SESSION to discuss sensitive business matters. There was nothing reported out of this session.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT - Board Action Items - Mr. Sprung provided the Board with a high-level recap of 2019 accomplishments and reviewed Action Items and reported on Staff initiatives.
• Sports and Events revenue was $567,000 above budget and $604,000 higher than 2018.
• Total Entries across all events was 3,300,000. The largest number in AKC history
• 2019 AKC National Championship was the largest event held in AKC’s 135-year history – 11,008 entries
Dogs up 1.2% to 587,777. This is the sixth (6th) consecutive year of year-over year increases
Litters up 3% to 258,362. This is the fifth (5th) consecutive year of year-over year increases
Unique breeders up 5%
• Registration revenue was $1MM below budget but $1.5MM higher than 2018.
• AKC.org 72 million users, a 10m increase, up 16%. Page views +6% and time spent +7%
• Social Media Instagram up 11.7%
• E-commerce traffic increased by 9.6% traffic and revenue was above budget
• AKC Marketplace 31,600 breeders advertised 53,000 litters vs. 28,200 breeders from 44,700 litters in 2018
• Parent Club tool used by 105 parent clubs
• Public Relations – The PR department obtained more than 2,000 media placements for the opening of the AKC Museum on the Dog in New York City.
• AKC.TV – over 6.5m views with more than 3.5m new users
• 2019 budget of $4.19m net operating will achieve approximately $5.1m.
Legal Status Report - The Board reviewed a status report on pending litigation and other Legal activities for the months of November and December 2019.
FINANCE - Joseph Baffuto, CFO, presented AKC’s unaudited financial results for the eleven months ended November 30, 2019. Total year to date revenues of $71.4 million were $2.0 million or 2.8% below budget, but $3.2 million or 4.8% greater than the 2018 comparative period. Dog Registrations YTD are 4% below Budget, but 1% higher than 2018. Litters processed are 3% under Budget levels, but 2% above previous year’s activity. Total operating expenses of $66.7 million were $4.5 million or 6% under budget as well as remaining $3.3 million or 4.8% below last year’s eleven-month actual. Operating income for the year to date through November 30, 2019 was $4.6 million which was favorable compared to both 2019 budgeted operating income of $2.2 million as well as the 2018 mark of ($1.9 million). Additionally, our operating investment portfolio reflects total unrealized gains for the year of $14.1 million dollars.
SECOND EXECUTIVE SESSION - Monday the 13th, there was an EXECUTIVE SESSION to discuss sensitive business matters. There was nothing reported out of this session.
THIRD EXECUTIVE SESSION - Monday the 13th, there was an EXECUTIVE SESSION to discuss sensitive business matters. There was nothing reported out of this session.
The Board adjourned Monday at 5:28 p.m. They reconvened on Tuesday, January 14 at 8:32 a.m. All Directors were present, except for Mr. Smyth and Mrs. Wallin. Also present was the Executive Secretary. Mr. Smyth arrived at 8:38 a.m. during the report from the Judges Appeal Committee.
Click here to open the full January 2020 AKC Board Minute Meeting
Resigned Judge: Professor Douglas C. Taylor
Deceased Judges: Mr. Richard Camacho, Mr. Eugene Haupt, Ms. Eileen C. MacLennan, Mrs. Sally L. Vilas
Emeritus Judges: Janice Carpenter (FL)
Just enter your email address and it's done! We never share or sell personal information.
The world’s 1st dog-site (TheDogPlace.org) from canine health to vaccines, (TheDogPress.com) 1st online dog-news, AKC history, records, etc. plus (TheJudgesPlace.com) the 1st site by and for dog show judges.